CITY OF LANESBORO ORDINANCE #71.035
PERMITTNG AND REGULATING PARKING AT LOCATION COMMONLY KNOWN AS “BALLFIELD” PARKING AREA
The City of Lanesboro ordains:
WHEREAS, the City of Lanesboro, as a popular visitor and tourist destination, is faced with a limited supply of public parking spaces; and
WHEREAS, the City of Lanesboro, in its downtown area especially, is the home of numerous private businesses that are tourist-related, including tour bus businesses and outfitter businesses; and
WHEREAS, said businesses utilize vehicles and trailers that if parked in spaces traditionally used for visitors and tourists, would unduly reduce the number of parking spaces available for said visitors and tourists, thus creating or worsening a public parking space shortage; and
WHEREAS, the City of Lanesboro wishes to encourage businesses operating in the downtown City of Lanesboro area to park its business vehicles (the “vehicles”) at a location so dedicated for such use, thus alleviating the parking shortage problem above mentioned; and
WHEREAS, the City of Lanesboro has identified the Lanesboro Softball Field (“Ballfield Parking Area”) as an appropriate parking area for these local business vehicles;
THEREFORE, the City of Lanesboro hereby designates the Ballfield Parking Area to be used for said business parking under the following terms and conditions:
1. Parking at the Ballfield Parking Area shall only be within the confines designated by the City of Lanesboro. The City will erect signage or otherwise reasonably identify the spaces to be used for parking.
2. The City of Lanesboro may deny or withdraw permission to park in the Ballfield Parking Area in its sole discretion, for any reason or no reason.
3. The City of Lanesboro is not responsible for damage to any vehicle, or the loss of contents of any vehicle parked in the Ballfield Parking Area.
4. Parking shall be done so as to avoid any damage to the ground or location on which the vehicles are parked.
5. The City of Lanesboro is not providing any form of security in the Ballfield Parking Area, or security for access thereto, and thus is not responsible or liable for any acts against any person or property occurring while parked at the Ballfield Parking Area.
6. Parking at the ballfield is done at the user’s own risk, the City having no duty to the user whatsoever.
7. Parking permission at the Ballfield Parking Area does not include permission to use the location for any purpose except parking.
8. The City shall designate eight spaces for parking in the Ballfield Parking Area, each being fifteen feet in width. The City shall issue an individual permit for each of the designated parking spaces. Limit one permit per person/business entity.
9. Duration of permits shall be from April 01 through October 01, or the first snowfall whichever occurs first. Permit fees shall be set by ordinance annually.
10. Permits may be issued to Commercial and Non-profit organizations. Previous permit holders shall be given first priority each year, permits must be purchased prior to April 01. After April 01, permits will be issued on a first come, first served basis.
11. Violation of this Ordinance is a petty misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $300. In addition, violators shall be subject to towing and impoundment of their vehicle at their sole expense.
Passed by the City Council this 2nd day of August, 2021:
LANESBORO CITY COUNCIL
Jason Resseman, Mayor